We’ve all heard why carbs are bad, why you should avoid them, and how a lettuce wrap is “just as delicious” as the carby bread bun it’s replacing. Let’s be real though, lettuce wraps are definitely NOT as delicious as a bun on your cheeseburger dinner. Convenience and taste however, should not be reasons to sacrifice your health by loading your body with sugary bread. I’m here to offer up a truly delicious alternative to traditional bread products, that looks and tastes like.. well.. Bread! I wish I had discovered cloud bread earlier in my keto journey. Some of those crazy carb craving nights would not have been so bad.
Here is an example of what I did with cloud bread. The perfect keto pastrami sandwich! Oh so good!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese OR plain yogurt
- (optional) rosemary, thyme, or other spices to taste
- Preheat the over to 300 degrees
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites, set yolks aside
- Whip egg whites vigorously, until set and forming nice peaks
- Mix together yolks, cream of tartar, cream cheese, and optional spices.
- GENTLY fold yolk mixture into whipped whites until mixed, disturb whites as little as possible.
- Scoop onto baking sheets into rounds, about the dimensions of a bun.
- Bake for ABOUT 30 minutes- this part is very important- no two batches are the same, so you must watch to see when they turn golden brown. It could be less than or more than 30 minutes.
- When finished, they will be crumbly like a meringue. Let sit in a zip-lock bag overnight and the bread will be chewy!
I have seen others also flatten the mixture prior to baking in order to slice it later on into sandwich bread! This recipe is very versatile in the way that you can experiment with different thicknesses and flavors- turning it into something that YOU love to eat! Enjoy making your cloud bread!
Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 10 halves